COMPETE – International comparisons of product supply chains in the agri-food sectors: determinants of their competitiveness and performance on EU and international markets
Agricultural value chains
01.10.2012 - 30.09.2015
The European agri-food sector faces increased competition on the international and regional markets created by the ongoing globalization processes. Consequently, the improvement of the sector’s competitiveness is one of the main discussion topics between researchers and business and policy makers.
The aim of COMPETE is to provide a comprehensive view on the various elements that contribute to the competitiveness of the European agri-food supply chains to provide better targeted and evidence-based policies on the EU level as well as on the national level to foster sustainable competitiveness of agri-food supply chains.
The project analyzes the determinants of competitiveness, including policy interventions and business environment, productivity in agriculture and food processing, the functioning of domestic and international markets, the choice of governance structures, as well as innovative activities in food processing.
COMPETE project is coordinated by Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO). COMPETE Consortium brings together 16 Partners (academics, trade bodies, NGOs, agricultural co-operative, industry representative advisory services) from 10 European countries.
- Consortium Leader/Coordination: Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO), Germany
- Institute of Agricultural Economics, Romania Website
- Wageningen University, The Netherlands Website
- University of Primorska, Slovenia Website
- Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Czech Republic Website
- University of Milan, Department of Economics, Management, and Quantitative Methods (DEMM), Italy Website
- Newcastle University, United Kingdom Website
- University of Belgrade, Faculty of Economics, Serbia Website
- Centre for Economic and Regional Studies of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Hungary Website
- University of Warsaw, Polen Website
- VOD Jetrichovec, Czech Republic Website
- Federation of the Food and Drink Industries of the Czech Republic, Czech Republic Website
- Balkan Security Network, Serbia Website
- Romanian Association of Rural and Agri-Food Economy "Virgil Madgearu", Romanian Website
- Federation of German Food and Drink Industrie (BVE), Germany Website
- Federalimentare Federazione Italiana dell`Industria Alimentare, Italy Website
The following theses are part of the project:
- Market power in the dairy supply chain (Carried out by: Aaron Grau)